One of the biggest nightmares for a homeowner is noticing random water puddles outside of your home or, even worse, inside of your residence. It’s very easy to overlook slab leaks if you’re not aware of them. Over time, a slab leak can quickly turn into cracked floors, mold, mildew, and floor “hot spots.” Luckily, the pros here at A River City Plumbing are here to provide long-lasting solutions to all of these issues. A slab leak can form just about anywhere in your home, which is why it’s essential to get professional help to ensure a long-lasting fix. We proudly serve Post Falls, ID and Greater Spokane, Washington areas!
Has a minor water leak turned into a full-on burst pipe? We also offer burst pipe repair services for these emergency issues, protecting your home from the dangers of water damage.
What Is a Slab Leak?
A slab leak is when a leak occurs in the plumbing system that runs under your home. Slab leaks are often a direct result of corroded pipes that burst, leaving a trail of water behind. It’s a problem that you can’t necessarily predict, although older homes are more commonly at risk. A few indications that let you know you’re experiencing a slab leak are:
- Certain tiles or areas of your floor are hot or warm
- Random water puddles on the floor
- Cracking on ceiling and walls
- Outside water puddles
- Increase in the water bill
- Mildew growth
While a warm spot on the floor can seem comforting, especially during the winter season, it’s an indication of a larger problem. It essentially means that hot water is leaking out of your pipes in a certain area, causing that warm feeling.
What Causes a Slab Leak?
As stated above, a slab leak occurs when the pipes inside or under your home spring a leak. When slab leaks appear, it's usually due to the pipes in your foundation forming pinhole leaks which are caused by corrosion. A few other causes that lead to slab leaks are:
- Improper Construction: When an installation is done incorrectly or poor quality pipes are installed underneath your home, leaks are more prone to happen over time.
- Poor Water Quality: The pH level of water in or around your water pipes is very important. If the pH level is too acidic or too alkaline, the pipes run an even bigger risk of becoming corroded. It’s best that the water level remains neutral to prevent corrosion or leaks from forming in the long run.
- Pressure: Earthquakes and soil erosion tend to cause pressure on the pipes, creating leaks and the need for professional repair.
- Abrasion: Abrasion is when the pipes rub against concrete or other materials. In this process, they become worn down and create cracks in the foundation, often resulting in a sprung leak.
When it comes to slab leaks, there are a few things that are in your control and also a few things that aren’t. A River City Plumbing is here to take the load off of your hands and step in to provide comfort when these issues arise. Slab leaks can cause a lot of trouble and also require detailed repairs. That’s why working with a reliable plumbing service company is so essential.
Are there leaks in other parts of your home? We also offer water leak detection and repairs for plumbing lines that aren’t under the foundations of your home.
Expert Service a Call Away
With over 30 years of experience in plumbing and water damage, A River City Plumbing is here to provide expertise and high-quality craftsmanship to homeowners throughout the area. Our plumbing specialists go above and beyond to ensure that your home is in its best condition, and we use the latest methods to find water leaks with pinpoint accuracy. Because a slab leak is under the foundations of your home, ensuring the actual location is found, can help limit any property damage needed to access the pipe.