Water heaters are the reason we can enjoy our favorite daily activities, from taking a nice hot shower before bed to preparing meals for our families. Without hot water, it would be extremely difficult to feel comfortable and cozy, especially during the winter months in Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls, ID.
Tankless water heaters are an efficient option for those looking to go “greener” when it comes to the appliances we use in our homes. If you’re interested in a new tankless water heater or your current unit needs repairs, call the professionals here at A River City Plumbing today!
Sticking with your traditional tanked unit? Ensure it’s in the best working order with our water heater maintenance service today!
How Tankless Water Heaters Work
If you’re like most people, you’ve probably never thought about how tankless water heaters operate. If you’re not like most people, you’ll probably find it very interesting how efficient these units are and the complex process that goes into supplying your home with hot water.
- First, you need to activate hot water by turning on a faucet, starting your washing machine, or doing anything that requires hot water.
- Next, cold water will flow into the tankless water heater through an inlet pipe located at the bottom of the unit.
- The flame is then ignited which heats the unit’s heat exchangers.
- During this process, your water is heated by catching all heat from the heat exchangers and travels from the outlet pipe into your home.
- Maintaining the temperature of the water, the unit will adjust the flame as needed.
- When you turn off the faucet, the flame extinguishes and water ceases to flow to the water heater until you need hot water again.
Signs It’s Time for Tankless Water Heater Repair
If you currently use a tankless water heater, also known as a point of use, on-demand, or instant hot water heater, it’s important that it is continually maintained to ensure it’s working efficiently. If you experience any of the following signs, give A River City Plumbing a call and ask about our repair services.
- No Hot Water: If you turn on your faucets and fail to draw hot water, there’s a good chance your water heater is to blame. Lack of hot water can be caused by a tripped breaker or faulty pilot light.
- Lukewarm Water: Perhaps only second to no hot water at all, lukewarm water is a true inconvenience. This is especially true during the cold seasons when all you want to do is take hot showers all day. Lukewarm water can occur when buildup gets trapped within the unit or when there is an issue with the heat exchanger.
- Strange Smell: As our water heaters get older, they become more susceptible to normal wear and tear. One thing that comes with age is the metallic smell the unit emits when the system starts to breakdown.
- Loud Noises: Any time an appliance in your home starts emitting loud noises, there’s a good indication that something is wrong. This is true with your point of use water heater which may begin to emit strange sounds due to buildup interfering with heating elements.
Because your water heater is such an integral part of your daily routine, any downtime can feel like an extreme emergency. By detecting potential tankless water heater repair issues early on, you can avoid suffering without hot water.
Poor water quality can cut the lifespan of your water heater. Make sure you’re doing the best to protect your unit from hard water by opting for a water softener installation.
The Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
Unlike their traditional counterparts, on-demand water heaters eliminate the issues of wasted hot water and energy usage. Water heaters that utilize storage tanks heat water and wait for you to use it, and even if you never do, your energy bills reflect that you did. This is one of the most common reasons homeowners with traditional water heaters have higher energy bills than those who went tankless. Some additional benefits one can expect to experience with a tankless water heater include:
- Instant water heaters only heat water when you need it!
- These units can last twice as long as traditional water heaters.
- Increased energy efficiency will save tons of money on energy bills.
- The risk for leaks is significantly decreased.
There is no plumbing company more friendly and diligent than A River City Plumbing. When you hire our knowledgeable techs for a service, we go above and beyond to ensure all of your needs are met with satisfaction guaranteed every time! Regardless of your tankless water heater is in need of repair or you’re on the hunt for a brand new system, we can help.